Due to COVID, Newport, RI will not be hosing their grand tastings this year. They are hosting their small seminars and dinners, all outside.
Let’s face it. Some of us are just NOT planners. I can plan and plan but something always happens that changes or alters my plans.
Because of this, I have learned that if I put some extra work in, I can often find what I want last minute.
I go to the Newport Wine and Food Festival every year and have for nearly ten years. The Saturday Grand Tasting at the Marble House Mansion is one of my favorites.
It’s extravagant and elegant and the sweeping views of the ocean and cliffs from the garden, while we sip our wine and taste exquisite food, is unparalelled.
Every year though, unless the weather forecast is rain, there is a last minute hustle to find tickets because they SELL OUT. I have bought tickets the morning of the event, sold tickets while standing in line for the event and have met people in Boston and Providence to grab their extra ticket….
Because the tickets are fairly pricey, people want to be sure they don’t go to waste, so if you would like to attend, and the event is sold out, try a few of these tips:
- Call Newport Mansions at 401-847-1000 and see if they have any “found” tickets
- Search Craigslist.com for tickets in Providence and the Boston area
- Post on Newport Facebook sites, “ISO Newport Saturday Grand Tasting ticket”. Example post in Providence Craigslist post: https://providence.craigslist.org/bop/6698438703.html
- Check the Newport Mansions Wine and Food Festival Facebook site to see if anyone has started a “looking for tickets” stream https://www.facebook.com/NewportMansionsWFF/
- Check the facebook site “Newport Buzz”
- Post on local yard sale sites for Newport, Jamestown and Providence
- Check StubHub to see if anyone with tickets added this event.
- On the day of the event between 11 and noon, walking down the line to enter asking for tickets. This has worked better than anything else, believe it or not!
And if you have tried everything and still no tickets, there’s always the Sunday Grand Tasting or the many seminars and parties with tickets still available. I’ll see you sipping wine overlooking the dramatic cliffs of Newport!…
Note: We did end up finding tickets in line on Saturday. Best to buy ahead next year!